We understand the following terms as:
the ability to do something successfully or efficiently.
a person who receives coaching from a coach, esp in business or office practice.
a recipient of goods or services in return for monetary or other valuable considerations.
Agile and Lean
- Mindset, Values and Principles – Is Agile in Mindset and has a deep understanding of Agile and Lean, behaves in Being Agile. The principles are not something we do, but they guide our thinking and actions when approaching new situations. They also help us apply frameworks and practices in the way they were intended.
- Frameworks, Methods and Practices – Understands that there is not 1 true right way, and therefore has experience with many Agile approaches. Has a wide understanding of practices individuals and teams with usage in an Agile context.
Coach – Thinking and Mobility
- Building Trust and Intimacy – Ability to create safe, supportive environment that produces ongoing mutual respect, trust, creative self-expression and opportunities for new learning. Has the self-awareness that the coachees are the highest priority.
- Coaching Presence – Ability to create a spontaneous relationship, open, flexible, confident style e.g. dancing in the moment, “goes with the gut”, open to not knowing, willing to take some risks, lightness and energy, is confident with strong emotions
- Active Listening – Complete focus on what coachee is/is not saying to understand the meaning of what is said e.g. client’s agenda, hear concerns, values, beliefs, summarises and mirrors, lack of judgement
- Powerful Questions – Asks questions for maximum benefit, they evoke discovery and insight, challenge assumption, open-ended, forward-looking and pre-supposing success
- Designing Actions – Helps the coachee create opportunities for learning and for taking new actions. Helps them explore alternatives, promotes experimentation and self-discovery, celebrates successes and capabilities, helps “do it now”.
Facilitate – Focus and Alignment
- Planning and Goal Setting – Help individuals and team set goals, and manages their coaching interactions to support the coachee(s) journey in pursuit of their goals.
- Managing Progress and Accountability – Hold attention on what is important for the individual or team, leaves the responsibility with coachee for action. Holds coachee accountable for what say they will do & their plan.
Educate – Awareness and Understanding
- Creating Awareness – Integrates information to help people gain awareness. Does not get hooked upon coachees description, helps coachee discover new thoughts, beliefs and expresses insights in meaningful ways. Acts as a mirror to the coachee, helping them surface the underlying systems that influence them.
- Direct Communication – Using language that has the greatest positive impact. Language is clear with feedback, reframes, clearly explains techniques or exercises, and done in a respectful way. Challenges the coachees limiting beliefs and assumption.
- Champions Transparency – Shares and promotes the Agile Coaching Competencies so, as to be transparent with everyone as much as possible.
- Grow Teams – Ability to coach teams to achieve their goals
- Influence Change – Ability to engage with the whole organizational system and support change that aligns with agreed upon goals.
Expects the above Agile Coaching Competencies to change and evolve over time.